One of my music videos

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Marina Revival Series FL-2 Electric Guitar




I bought this guitar in 1992 and I really haven't seen that many Marina Electric Guitars. The Revival Series FL-2 that I own is the only one I have ever seen although I have read one article referring to them. There is another guitar very similar known as the Marina Feeling Series FL-2. The only one of which I have seen for sale on Ebay. Apparently made in the 80s and very rare.

General My Marina Revival Series FL-2
The Marina Revival Series FL-2 that I own is a off white or cream coloured pearl (upon removing hardware I can see the colour has changed from white).
It has a shape similar to a stratocaster with no cut aways (basically a slab).
The trem is a strat style and it is loaded with two no brand humbuckers.
The neck is made of some sort of white timber as is the body and the finger board might be rosewood or some thing similar in colour. The neck has pearl dot inlays.

The Neck
The neck has had major work as it appeared that it has been planed flat due to a natural bow towards the excessive tension direction.
The finger board is thinner in the middle of the neck than on the ends.
In general around the finger board workmanship is a bit low.
But surprisingly the thing plays OK and can be tuned for intonation with only very minor discrepancies in pitch around the neck.

The Body
The body appears to be made of three pieces of timber of the same type white timber joined down the length of the body. It does not have a pick guard.
It basically is close to a silhouette of a strat but in a slab style with rounded edges. No cut aways for your body or right arm.
The Controls
It has a volume control and a tone with a three way switch.
The original nobs were black plastic strat style but I change them to chrome telecaster style nobs.
The three way switch allows one to switch from bridge to both to neck pickups.
Both control pots are 250K and for some reason the free end of the volume pot was not grounded so the volume could not be tuned down to no sound.

The Pickups
The pickups are humbuckers as said before. Constructed differently from what I normally see.
The steel slugs screw into the plastic former and not into the mounting plate. They are black in colour.
They are not branded.
The DC resistance is of them is as follows:
Bridge : 11.5k Ohms
Neck : 12.5k Ohms

Hardware
None of the hardware is brand name but seems to be of a reasonable quality. The machine heads are typical of electric guitars. The neck plate is is chrome with marina stamped into it.
The bridge is a strat style as I said before.

The Playing Experience
Surprisingly this thing plays quite well and I will not be selling it any time soon.
Other players often comment on the the sound and want to have a play of it. It has a warm tone with a lot of depth.
Action is reasonably low and it is enjoyable to play.

Any information about where this guitar was manufactured or any other information or web sites would be appreciated.
Please leave a comment if you know some thing.
More on the Marina Feeling Series FL-2
There seems to be a few subtle differences between these two guitars.
For one the bridge is different even though they both would perform almost identically. Also the volume and tone nobs differ to that of the Revival Series being that the Feeling Series featured here has Gibson style nobs and the originals on my Marina Revival Series were black strat style nobs.
Other than that the rest of the hardware is identical in appearance.
There seems to be a crack running away from the jack in the finish. This must be a common thing as mine also has cracks in this area.
Honestly after only ever seeing one of these for sixteen years it feels a bit strange to see another.
Marina Guitars
There is not a great deal of information about the company all I know is that these guitars were made in Korea around the late 80s and were aimed at the lower end of the market.

17 comments:

jonny62 said...

we have a revival series fl 1 identical to a squire but the head shape is the same as yours so is the amp plug socket (not pointing down)
fender parts fit as i had to replace the 3 way switch, cheers.

Cacti said...

Thanks heaps for that info anything I can learn about the marina guitars is very helpful

S. corosoft clayton said...

Hallo, I´m from Hannover, Germany. I have, I think, exactly the same white Marina Feeling Series FL-2 Guitar as you. I bought it in 1996 from a guy on my school for perhaps 75,- Euro (he thought it was a cheap beginner model). I did some reserche 7 years ago in internet because I thought that my guitare were quite good, but I didn´t find anything that time. So I was verry glad to read your information. I get not so much feedback about playing this guitar. In Germany nobody seemed to be interested. Only my friends sad the neg had a sharp that were difficuld to play. But I didn´t care. I thing I made a lot of good music with this guitar. (http://www.myspace.com/graetenkinder http://www.myspace.com/swantjeband)
Do you know where this guitars are from and when they were build?
g.f.

Unknown said...

Hi! I´m from Brasil and I have a Marina too, Stratocaster model and I cant find any kind of information too. I buy in 97 from a luthier and it looks exactly like a Fender. I really love it and the last one I´ve saw was from a guy selling for 2000 dollars!

eheadj said...

Hi, I'm from Greece and I have a Marina Stratocaster type (left handed) which I bought in Cyprus in 1993 third hand(!) for 100$ or something. The sustain and warmth of this guitar are superb. I would love to find some info about it. Can I post a pic of it here?

Unknown said...

Hello my name is Jose and I am of Spain. I buy a Sea-coast Stratocaster in 1989, I was 14 years old. I am very satisfied with her. I preserve it complete model. I do not have information wherefrom it was made..Regards

Unknown said...

Hi Folks, I'm in New Zealand and have a Marina Artist AT-1 green telecaster style with humbuckers just like this one: http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-57559-Marina
A red one here:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/379741-marina-revival-series.html
While I was just searching on google I found a new line of marina acoustics produced by Faraday using the same logo. Check this out:
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/marina-md-10-ns-acoustic-guitar
Hover over the head stock.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
boogzee said...

Hi I have a marina fl-1 in mint condition, does anyone know what it would be worth?

Unknown said...

I hav this guitar and its really good my uncle gave it to me. I like the feeling fl-2 and the fact wen light hits it its has a solar color

Unknown said...

Hi I'm from Greece too and I have my father's Marina. I'm a teen and it's my second year playing the guitar.

Unknown said...

This guitar: Marina Feeling Series FL-2 was produced in Japan 1984-1989.I had this for about 5 years, then sold. The neck was not the best, but it sounded very good. Pickups are not alnico made, but thats not a problem

Dashing said...

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade content from you in the future as well. Guitars In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal blog now ;).

Unknown said...

I have a metallic black marina feeling series FL-2 I got back in 1992 and yes they are a very rare guitar. I seen one on ebay years ago go for $2500 but never seen another ever.

Unknown said...

I have the creamy white one. Had since the late 80's. Hamilton Texas

Unknown said...

Just like the on at top of page. Have pics but cant post them.

Pitch said...

Anyone got one or part for me$$????$$$ and artist series too ?just send me à beep beep